Friday, September 21, 2007

How Not to Make Money Re-Selling Wood

I get weekly email updates from one of my favorite wood dealers, www.woodworkerssource.com in Arizona. In early August, I receive a notice that they're shelling purpleheart shorts (smaller pieces of wood about a foot long and maybe six inches wide), for $1.00 a piece. Wow! Purpleheart is normally $4.50 a board foot + shipping. So, I promptly ordered 100 pieces, figuring I'd maybe get half or a third of that. Turns out they had 100 pieces and sold me a 100 pieces. Now here's the part where they may lost money on the deal. They base their shipping prices on the cost of the order. For my meager $100 purchase, the entire order shipped from Arizona to Northern California for a whopping $12.00. Unfortuately, the total order weighed almost 200 lbs. It came in (4) 48 pound boxes via UPS. Our UPS driver doesn't quite understand why he has do deliver wood to our house.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Well written with a delightful sense of humor. Perhaps I won't buy my next chess board in Greece!