Wednesday, October 28, 2009

An Ah-hA Moment, 3/16" Pegs and "Free Shipping" Doesn' t Work

Speaking of Ah-ha moments, I had one the other day. I was finishing up a new set of 6 large boards with 3/16” holes that I fast-tracked (completed them in two weeks), and I was fitting the Miller Wooden Dowel Pegs to the holes since the Miller pegs are a touch too big at the bottom and it suddenly dawned on me, that as much as I like Miller Dowel Pegs for joinery construction and “dot” inlay work, I think they look a little out of place on my boards. Plus, being wood, if they break, in the hole…well you know where I’m going with this.

Much to my surprise, not a lot of people sell decent looking, affordable 3/16” Metal Pegs…1/8” pegs come in an amazing variety of shapes/colors/sizes…but not so much for the metal 3/16” pegs. I contacted an Ebay seller who had a good assortment of the 3/16” metal pegs and asked about doing a large order. Also, I could only find one vendor who sells a 3/16” board. I believe the models are Drueke Walnut Board (DRK80800) – http://www.puzzlemethis.com/cgi-bin/puzzle/drk81400.html or the 2 track or Drueke Cribbage Master 3 Track (DRK81500) - http://www.puzzlemethis.com/cgi-bin/puzzle/DRK81500.html

I’m getting really close to selling out 5 different series at the moment. Only 1 board left in each series. It will be good to close out some these series. As always, the lower cost board series sell out faster.

I think I’ve pretty much given up on the concept of “Free Shipping”. My unconfirmed sense of “Free Shipping” is that people don’t trust “Free Shipping” unless it’s from an established outfit like Walmart or BestBuy. I’ll probably continue to sell the more expensive boards with “Free Shipping” since that seems to “fit” the pricing model, but I think I will stick with charging a reasonable amount to cover shipping for the other boards.

And speaking of shipping, imagine my surprise when I decided to be a little more careful about shipping and weighing and realizing that taping 2 USPS Priority Mail Shoe box priority mail shoe box size boxes together, added almost a pound (13 ounces), to the weight! Eeek! No wonder the post office gives boxes away for free. They add A LOT of weight to the package!

No comments: