Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My most expensive, beautiful board to date

If you take one glance at the picture of the Siarnaq board (Saturn Moon Series), you realize the grain pattern is quite striking. I feel it’s the most beautiful board I’ve made to date. This board set the bar pretty high in terms of how striking I can make a cribbage board.

Ironically, this was the first board where I stumbled onto the idea of re-sawing cocobolo strips and book matching them to make interesting and pleasing patterns. This particular board is triple book-matched for the 3 inside strips and double book-matched on the 2 outside strips. This is the only board that I ever made with this combination of book-matching. It is also the very first board I made with Cocobolo. So, in terms of my personal history of cribbage board making, it’s a very important cribbage board (to me).

Every time I come up with a new look or idea for a crib board, I’m smitten with that board for a short time, but then my infatuation fades and I move on. Not so with this board. I still love the way it looks and get excited every time I see it. But, I’m quick to remind myself that I make boards to sell and share with the world. If I’ve succeeded in making an exceptionally beautiful board, then of course I should charge accordingly, but still within reason.

No comments: